Friday 25 January 2013

The Kindness Of Bloggers

I was spoilt for choice when trying to choose a title for this post. I considered both "It's Not What You Know But Who You Know" and "The Postman Wore Shorts" before settling on "The Kindness Of Bloggers". A simpler title, that gets straight to the point, would however, have simply been: Thank You Adrian!

Last weekend, when Adrian ended up in Moffat as the campsite at Biggar was closed, I suggested that if he needed something to do then he should definitely visit the Moffat Toffee shop. I didn't know at the time but Adrian doesn't really have a sweet tooth, but he does have a kind heart, and hence he made an offer to post me a tin of toffee.

Moffat Toffee is, to put it mildly, a bit weird. Firstly it isn't actually toffee, but a boiled sweet! According to their own website it has a caramel outside with a lemon centre, but personally I think they taste of toffee apples. Whatever they actually taste like I love them and the chance to have a tin (possibly only the third I've ever had) was too good to pass up.

We are really fortunate in the UK to have a number of local foods that are worth hunting out; as well as Moffat Toffee I'd recommend Wensleydale Cheese (although that's easy to buy in almost any supermarket now), the output from most of the small breweries/distilleries that dot the landscape (usually the smaller the better) and most definitely Grasmere Gingerbread. Grasmere Gingerbread is as much like gingerbread as Moffat Toffee is like toffee so don't rely on it's name for a description!

Thanks again Adrian, I know what I'm doing this weekend; sucking toffee!
25 January 2013 at 19:40 , ADRIAN said...

You are welcome Mark. Your code is worth a years worth of tins of toffee.
Wish I'd paid for FedEx you would have got it Tuesday.
Bloody Post Office...ripping me off for next day and taking four days to deliver. They deserve to go bang. Tell your posty to get a pair of wellies.I am going to need help.
I have a somewhat surreal lens. DOF is a fraction of a mm at full chat. I am not asking for charity, I have another tin of toffee. Seriously would Sheffield University be interested in building a stepping motor controlled macro plate. I with a following wind could get it to fire the strobe
I have a cracking lens but as you can see it's DOF is really small. Hand held it is crap SEE
It needs a stacking system to make it work.

27 January 2013 at 10:12 , GB said...

Add Gruth Dhu and Caboc to the local foods worth hunting out please.

27 January 2013 at 10:23 , Mark said...

Okay have looked those up I'm convinced. Now I just need to find a source that doesn't charge the cost of a creamery for delivery!

27 January 2013 at 19:38 , GB said...

I'll try and remember to send you some when I get back to Stornoway! The Good Food Boutique there sells it.

Post a Comment