Saturday 17 September 2011

Pink Elephants

As some of you will know I recently had a birthday (if I haven't already said thank you for a card or present then... THANK YOU!), and yesterday after a) fixing Blogger's mistakes and b) a full working day I decided to relax by having a play in the kitchen using two of my birthday presents.

Helen and Ian had kindly bought me a book from my Amazon wishlist about making sugarpaste characters for decorating cakes. Even after just a quick flick through I knew I was going to be making the second character in the book, a pink elephant (if you go to Amazon you can look inside the book and see the instructions for making the elephant yourself). So I spent some of the money Linda had given me as a present on buying pink icing, black gel colouring and a modeling tool. These arrived in the post yesterday so once work was over I set about making some elephants.

While I've decorated cakes before the closest I've got to making fancy decorations were my iced bees which were recognizable as bees (or possibly wasps) but which wouldn't really have won any awards for artistic merit. So while I'm unlikely to be offered a job making models for the next Wallace and Gromit adventure I'm still more than happy with the results (and I haven't even tasted them yet). I'll definitely be making more elephants in the future and as I've still got plenty of pink icing left I might branch out into making pigs as well.
17 September 2011 at 13:40 , Ian said...

Cute! Hope you get the chance to make the pink pigs too.

17 September 2011 at 16:00 , Helen said...

What an adorable elephant. Well done Mark :-)

17 September 2011 at 16:40 , Scriptor Senex said...

That's super - looking forward to seeing a pig or two.

18 September 2011 at 08:20 , Graham Edwards said...

Brilliant. Now for grey pigs.

Post a Comment