Tuesday 6 July 2010

Donut/Muffin

A long time ago I ate a muffin. This was, however, no ordinary muffin. I'd just finished a long walk in the Yorkshire Dales and was relaxing in the car park at Kettlewell when I was offered a muffin. Honestly from just looking at it I was a little underwhelmed. There was no thick frosting, no chocolate chips, in fact it looked very plain indeed with just a light dusting of sugar. I took one bite though and was stunned. I had taken a bite from a muffin but it tasted as if I was eating a donut! This donut-muffin hybrid has since entered into myth as I've never tasted another one and neither has anyone else I've talked to about it. I'm not entirely sure why, but last week the mythical muffin reared it's tasty head in my mind and I decided that it was time to figure out a recipe for baking my own.

I knew that I didn't already have an appropriate recipe, otherwise I would have made the muffins before, so I went out and hunted around on the web. I found quite a few different recipes and cobbled a few together to match the ingredients I already had in the house. Once I had settled on a recipe I went straight to the kitchen to cook. Making the mixture didn't take very long but then I had a nervous 20 minute wait before I could taste one. They looked like muffins, but they tasted like donuts. Success!

If you want to try making your own Donut/Muffin hybrids then I've added the recipe I used to the cookbook. Enjoy!
6 July 2010 at 13:40 , Helen said...

They look great Mark. The blog I mentioned when we discussed these is:

http://www.laraferroni.com/

It's a food / photography blog by someone writing a book on donuts. Unfortunately there aren't many donut recipes on there because she's saving them for the book, but some of the other recipes look fantastic and I think the book may well be worth looking at when it comes out.

7 July 2010 at 09:13 , Mark said...

Thanks Helen, you are right that does look interesting. Interesting enough that I've added the book to my Amazon wishlist ready for when it is published.

7 July 2010 at 20:45 , Helen said...

Great! Glad you like it.

I hope to make her lovely looking rhubarb bars

http://www.laraferroni.com/2010/04/22/rhubarb-bars/

very soon.

Post a Comment