Monday 13 April 2009

Dessert and an Easter Egg!

Instead of me cooking yesterday we went out for lunch with my parents. Ever since we moved to Penistone we have wanted to have a meal at The White Heart and this seemed the perfect opportunity. The weather was nice and so we walked the few hundred yards to the restaurant to help build up an appetite.

First impressions were good -- they had Black Sheep best bitter on tap! The rest of the meal didn't disappoint. I had mussels in a white wine sauce, followed by roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (even though I'm a Yorkshireman I very rarely eat Yorkshire pudding unless it is toad-in-the-hole) followed by brown bread ice cream. I chose my dessert based on the fact that it sounded interesting and I'd never heard of it before. It was great and I'll certainly be hunting out a recipe at some point (this one looks promising).

The staff were really friendly and we had a great time and as a finishing touch we got an Easter Egg. Apparently as it was Easter Sunday each table was getting given a chocolate egg as they left (we got a Cadbury Flake egg). It's nice, different touches like this (and Rufus) that make places memorable and ensure that we will be going back at some point!

My Rating: 5 Stars If you want to eat out in Penistone then this restaurant would be the first place I'd suggest. Great food and friendly staff will ensure that we go back again.
14 April 2009 at 04:00 , Graham Edwards said...

Coincidence again. Our local New World sells British bottled beers. What do I have in my fridge? Black Sheep Ale!

I do miss decent pubs. Stornoway has pubs (hmmm) and some very good eateries and Napier has some wonderful eateries too. But no decent pubs. Not that I'd probably go in one very much even if there was one.

14 April 2009 at 07:02 , Scriptor Senex said...

At first I thought you had misspelled the name since White Harts are quite common. This is the first White Heart I have heard of.

14 April 2009 at 07:17 , Graham Edwards said...

Yes. My immediate reaction was that the Heart was misspelt. Fortunately I checked. It's a nice touch of update whilst in effect keeping the old name.

Post a Comment