Thursday 1 January 2009

Health and Safety

From the Department for Stating the Bloody Obvious comes this health and safety sign seen at the Chestnut Centre. Given that the centre is located in a woody valley I would have been surprised had the ground not been uneven with exposed tree roots! I'm guessing that this sign is only aimed at those of us who need Caution Contents Hot on coffee cups, or Warning: May contain fish on a can of tuna -- I don't know any of these people and I really can't imagine what they would be like as a conversationalist.

For those who need warnings about coffee being hot have a look at SmartLids. Everyone else can enjoy this list of ridiculous warning labels.
1 January 2009 at 16:44 , Scriptor Senex said...

I was just surprised that they weren't made to mention the danger of bumping into overhead branches. Or perhaps the local Health and Safety people had made them remove all such offending limbs!

1 January 2009 at 18:20 , GB alias L'homme bizarre avec la barbe grise said...

Unfortunately we live in a world of suers where you can win damages for trying to dry your Chihuahua in a microwave (which is not apocryphal as people sometimes think). Even in the UK people will win damages for tripping over trees in a forest unless they are warned. The insurance company for my business insisted I put up various notices for the public. I always prefaced them with the words "I am required by my Insurance company to say....." So I sympathise with the Chestnut Centre, however silly their notice may appear.

1 January 2009 at 18:25 , GB alias L'homme bizarre avec la barbe grise said...

Here I go again. I think the hot coffee lid is brilliant. We were at the market the other day and got coffee in a walk-about cup. Which is not one of my favourite ways to drink coffee at the best of times. Wendy was drinking her flat white no bother and I, having had this problem before, waited and eventually decided my black coffee must have cooled down sufficiently. Wrong. Sore lip result. A brown lid would have been very welcome.

Post a Comment