Sunday 10 February 2008

Changing Computer Standards

Well I've finally got around to buying new parts to rebuild my dead computer. The really annoying thing is that a lot of the old parts still worked but the hardware standards have changed rendering many of the parts useless.

The problem with the old machine was the motherboard, so that needed replacing. So replacing the motherboard also involved replacing the CPU, graphics card, memory and power supply, all because the standards currently in use (and hence the connections on the motherboard) have all changed since I bought my last motherboard.

Not only is this change in standards expensive but it means I now have a whole host of perfectly OK parts which I don't have any use for.

Ah well, at least I now have a nice, fast, up-to-date PC to play with!

Post a Comment